Ranking My Test Drives at Everything Electric 2025

Last week, I headed over to the Everything Electric 2025 show at London ExCel. The place was buzzing with all things electric; cars, bikes, home energy solutions, and more. If you're curious about the future of sustainable mobility, this was the place to be.

But what really drew me in were the test drives. As a lifelong motoring enthusiast, I’ll always love the roar of an engine, but I’ve also been itching to find out how electric cars stack up. This was the perfect chance to try out a bunch of them, one after the other. I got behind the wheel of six different models, and it was eye-opening to see how each one handled, from performance quirks to design choices to overall driver feel.

Here’s how they ranked for me, from least favourite to top pick:

6. Ford E-Transit Custom


This was my first time driving a van, so there was a bit of a learning curve, like constantly checking for a rearview mirror that wasn’t there. The drive was mellow, almost soothing. Not exactly thrilling but strangely calming. It eased me into the day nicely. Would I buy one? Probably not. But it was a gentle start.

5. Tesla Model 3


When it comes to driving dynamics, the Model 3 was right up there. Quick, agile, and great fun. But the fiddly design choices let it down; touch-sensitive indicators and switching drive modes via the screen just felt unnecessary. Add the brand baggage, and it loses points for me. Fun, but not a keeper.

4. Hyundai Kona Electric


This felt the most like a regular car, in a good way. It had decent zip and was easy to get comfy in. I didn’t realise you could adjust the regenerative braking while driving, so it felt a bit flat at times. With more time (and a better briefing), it might’ve climbed higher.

3. Ford Explorer


For me, the Ford Explorer was a surprise standout. I didn’t expect much but was pleasantly surprised. Smooth ride, decent power when you need it, and the option to switch between Drive and B mode (a driving mode where the regenerative braking system is more powerful) was a bonus. I just wanted a bit more interactivity to feel fully connected to the drive.

2. Volvo EX30


This was an extremely thrilling machine to take out for a spin! There’s a split-second delay, then it rockets forward. The compact dimensions also meant it had strong cornering ability too. Some odd design choices though — most controls live in the central screen, which isn’t great when you’re mid-drive. And those centre console window switches were very confusing at first. Still, once you’re used to it, it’s a cracking drive.

1. Hyundai Ioniq 5 N Line


Easily my favourite drive of the day. It looks sharp and, more importantly, feels properly engaging. While many EVs can feel a bit removed, this one had paddle shifters for adjusting regenerative braking on the fly. That extra layer of control really sealed the deal. If you love driving, this one shows you don’t have to give that up in an electric world.

The Cars I Missed Out On
As much fun as I had, there were a few I didn’t get to try. Top of that list was the Hyundai Ioniq 5 N — the one everyone’s been raving about, and the car featured in the header of this article! Unsurprisingly, all the test drive slots were snapped up early. Same with the MG Cyberster. Porsche had a stand too, but sadly, their demo cars weren’t available to drive.

Final Thoughts
Everything Electric 2025 was a brilliant day out, and the test drives were the standout. There was also the chance to hop on electric scooters, have a go on racing simulators, and check out the adorable new Renault 5. It was too new for test drives, but I’ve got my eye on it for next year.

If this day taught me anything, it’s that nothing beats actually getting behind the wheel. Reviews and videos only take you so far. If you’re even a bit curious about EVs, I’d definitely recommend trying something like this; it’s the best way to figure out what suits your style.

Would I go again next year? If there’s a fresh batch of cars to try, I’ll be first in line. And who knows, maybe I’ll even roll up in an EV of my own!

Comments

Popular Posts