British GP Build-Up: Visiting McLaren and Williams F1 Fanzones in London
Earlier this month, London was buzzing with Formula 1 fever ahead of the British Grand Prix, and I was lucky enough to be right in the thick of it. On July 2nd, I headed down to Trafalgar Square for day one of McLaren Racing Live, a two-day extravaganza celebrating everything Papaya. From their current line-up of racing machines and iconic historical cars to exciting hints at what's coming next, the event promised to be unmissable.
But let's be honest, the main draw for me was the chance to see McLaren’s star drivers, Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri, up close. With a packed schedule of fan activities and talks planned, anticipation was high.
A Long Road Ahead
I knew the event would be popular, so I expected some queues. But nothing could have prepared me for what I saw when I arrived. Approaching Trafalgar Square, I spotted the initial queue forming and thought, "Fair enough, I'll just pop around the corner and join the back."
Not so fast.
The queue stretched far longer than I had imagined, winding its way through London’s busy streets. Curious and slightly concerned, I began tracing its path, each turn revealing more fans waiting patiently. To give you an idea, the event was in Trafalgar Square, and I eventually found the end of the queue all the way back in Chinatown. Yes, Chinatown. And that’s not even counting the way it snaked through the side streets!
I've joined some impressive queues in my time, but this one easily ranks among the longest.
Glancing at my watch, midday was approaching. A slight worry crept in: would I make it inside before Lando and Oscar took the stage at 2:45 pm? Surely three hours would be enough to clear the queue, right?
Taking a deep breath, I stepped into line, committed to the wait and hopeful that it would all be worth it. Moments later, the weather turned, and it started to drizzle. Typical. But then I reminded myself that everyone around me was likely in the same boat and just as excited, so I struck up some conversations. I'm glad I did. Chatting with fellow fans about Formula 1 made the time pass more quickly, and as the skies brightened, the wait didn’t seem quite so gruelling.
Entering Papaya Paradise
To avoid turning this blog into a queuing diary, let’s skip ahead. After about 90 minutes of winding through Westminster’s side streets, I finally made it into the fanzone. The atmosphere was electric, packed with a range of engaging activities. That said, each attraction still had sizeable queues, so I decided to spend the time before the main stage event exploring the grounds.
Fortunately, I managed to get a close-up look at some iconic McLaren vehicles, including Lewis Hamilton’s historic MP4-23, the futuristic Hypercar Concept destined for the World Endurance Championship, and the full-scale Lego model that caused a stir back in Miami.
Then came the big moment. Martin Brundle took to the stage to kick off the British GP Special segment, standing beside a mystery car under wraps. When the drivers arrived, it was a real treat to see two of the sport’s brightest stars receive such a warm reception. It was a brilliant reminder of how big this event had become. Queueing in the rain suddenly felt very worthwhile. To top it all off, the unique Chrome livery was unveiled, giving the crowd a first look at something truly special.
After that, I felt like my mission for day one was complete. I swung by the merchandise store to pick up a t-shirt as a keepsake and made my way home.
The next day, I returned to Trafalgar Square. To my surprise, there was no queue at all. The buzz was still alive, though, and interest in the activities hadn’t let up. This time, I got a go on the Batak reaction test. I didn’t quite make the leaderboard, but I walked away with a branded cap as a souvenir, which felt like a win in itself.
Detour to Williams
Simulator queues were still lengthy, so I took the chance to visit the Williams fanzone at Piccadilly Circus. I’d been there in 2023, so I knew what to expect, and this year’s setup was much the same. Historic cars were on display again, this time joined by a Lego model, which added a fun new element.
The main attraction (beyond opportunities to meet noteworthy figures in F1) was downstairs in the gaming lounge. Here, visitors could try out F1 2025 across various setups, from solo sim rigs to couch-based split-screen play. I went for the sim rig. I managed about four laps, with my best times clocking in at 1:32. Not quite leaderboard level—you’d need to break into the 1:30s for that—but still a great experience. After grabbing a complimentary Reviva coffee, I was on my way, feeling satisfied that I’d ticked off both fan zones.
Days to Remember
Naturally, the McLaren experience was my highlight. Seeing a livery reveal live, with both drivers on stage, is a moment I’ll never forget. The emotional rollercoaster of waiting in that mammoth queue is now a core memory. Judging by the turnout, I hope events like this become a regular feature, with even more teams getting involved. And if they’re hosted in London or nearby, you can bet I’ll be there, ready to queue, experience, and share it all over again.

Comments
Post a Comment